With so many options for insurance policies out there, looking for a good deal on car insurance can be a little overwhelming. But learning how to save on car insurance doesnâ€™t really have to be complicated. You just need to know what things you can do to make sure you get the best deal.
How to Save on Car Insurance Now
Here are some of the things you can do to make an immediate difference to save on car insurance:
- Shop around for the best price. It may seem obvious, but there are still many drivers who only look at one or two quotes before purchasing their car insurance. The company you choose as your insurance provider makes a huge difference in how much you pay for your coverage. Take the time to compare quotes. Here at SelectQuote we gather and compare quotes for you, so you can save time and money.
- Bundle different types of insurance together. If you have other types of insurance, such as home or renters insurance, you may get a discount for bundling all of your insurance with the same provider.
- Insure multiple cars under the same policy. Many insurance providers offer a multi-car discount, which means that youâ€™ll save money by insuring your householdâ€™s vehicles together rather than separately.
- Increase your deductible. Raising the amount youâ€™ll pay for your deductible in the event of a claim lowers the cost of your premium. Just be aware that if something happens, youâ€™ll have to pay more out of pocket.
- Reduce or remove optional coverages. Liability insurance is legally required, but if youâ€™re in a bind you can save some money by reducing or removing optional collision or comprehensive coverage.
- List your vehicle’s safety features. Some insurance providers offer discounts for safer vehicles, so if you have a car with a dashboard camera, rear-view camera, blindspot warnings, anti-theft alarms, or other safety features, tell your insurance provider.
- Consider usage-based insurance. If you drive infrequently or for short distances, usage-based insurance will only charge you according to the time and distance you actually drive. Of course, if you drive places daily and/or drive for long distances, it may not be best for you.
How to Save on Car Insurance in the Future
You can also save on car insurance in other ways that may not be immediate, but can still give you great results.
- Install safety features and stay on schedule for maintenance. Not only will this potentially save you money on your car insurance by helping prevent you from being in an accident, it may also save you money with discounts. Just because your car doesn’t come standard with the latest safety features doesnâ€™t mean you canâ€™t add them and possibly still earn a discount.
- Maintain a good credit history. Unless you live in California, Hawaii or Massachusetts, insurance providers can – and will – consider your credit history when deciding your car insurance rates. Some providers may even care more about your credit report than your driving record. Make payments on time, stay within credit limits and avoid opening unnecessary credit accounts to build your credit.
- Research car rates before you buy. Certain makes and models cost more to insure than others and low mileage vehicles may be eligible for a discount. Make sure you take this into consideration the next time you need to buy a car.
- Take a defensive driving course. You might be able to get a discount that can really add up to some nice savings if youâ€™re willing to take a class to improve your driving skills.
- Enroll your young drivers in a drivers ed course. If you have teens, you probably worry about them being out on the road – and how much itâ€™s going to cost to insure them. Enroll them in a drivers ed course can save you money and help keep them safe on the road.
Why wait to save on car insurance? Contact a licensed SelectQuote agent now for a personalized recommendation and free quote. Weâ€™ll be happy to help you compare multiple top-rated carriers and give you a customized quote for car insurance you can afford.